Date of last revision: 9/28/1999
This area is still under development.
Depending on severity and user history, violations may result in different penalties. We usually issue a warning the first time a non-critical policy violation occurs. However, if there has been a clear attempt to disguise the violation, we will proceed immediately to account suspension or termination as appropriate. Offenses by alumni will result in account termination for the first offense.
- Disk usage limits
- E-Mail policies
- Printing policies
- Student webpage policies
- Other policies:
- Any attempts to compromise the security of computer systems (either in the Design Center or elsewhere), or use of your Design Center account for illegal activities will result in immediate account suspension and possible account termination.
- Do not shut off or reboot any computers. In general, the only power switches you should ever touch are for monitors. If you think a computer needs to be rebooted, please see the Lab Monitor for help. There are several reasons for this policy, but the main ones are:
- Most of our systems are multi-user; there are probably other people using the system even if nobody is sitting at the console.
- Both Unix and Windows NT require a graceful shutdown of all system processes to be run by the superuser account. Failure to do this can cause data corruption--we have seen systems that need complete re-installation after an ungraceful shutdown.
- You may not run IRC "bots" in the Design Center. The reason for this policy is that IRC bots consume a noticable amount of system resources, and they do not support the Design Center's purpose as a center of learning and research. We have also received numerous complaints from other sites about abuse of IRC by bots running from the Design Center.
- Users who leave workstations locked and unattended for more than 15 minutes will be logged off. If you need to leave a process running while you are away from the Design Center, please notify the Lab Monitor before you leave.
- We discourage the practice of letting other people have access to your account, but we allow it. However, be aware that we will hold you responsible for all activities connected with your account.
- Eating and drinking are not allowed in the lab. The only exceptions to this are (1) Lab Monitors may eat if they are working during a meal time, and (2) you may bring in water if it is in a spillproof container that is kept sealed when you are not drinking. If you need to bring any other food or drink into the lab, it must be kept in a sealed container away from the computers and other equipment. Penalties: First offense -- required to leave the lab for an hour. Second offense -- 24-hour account suspension. Additional offenses: Account suspension and conference with advisor.
Click here to go back.